Monday, March 4, 2013

Indian Chickpea Blinis with Cashew Coconut Chutney

Indian Chickpea Blinis with Cashew Coconut Chutney pg. 199
Number 8 in my countdown to the end of CSK is Indian Chickpea Blinis.  I am kind of embarrassed to admit this but I had to Google what blinis looked like.  I wasn't sure what I was making?  I knew it wasn't the cocktail, but all I could picture was a Bellini! Don't judge me, I'm learning everyday! It turns out they are pretty much like pancakes.  I have said in previous posts that my husband was the pancake maker in the house, but I have found I am not too shabby in the pancake making department myself.  Yeah!
The first thing you will prepare is the Cashew Coconut Chutney.  It is pretty sweet stuff and a little dollop goes along way.  It was tasty on the blinis. 
Next up is cooking your veggies, and mixing them with the pancake flour ingredients.
I made my blinis using a nonstick pan.  I don't really have a great set of pots and pans.  When making the Cornmeal Banana Walnut Pancakes I used my cast iron skillet, and they really stuck to the pan like glue.  So I decided to simplify my life and use my non-stick skillet.  You would think with all this cooking I might have invested in a decent set of skillets.  I just hate spending money on stuff like that.  Which is funny because I felt that way about my investment in good knives, yet can't imagine not having them now.  They make life so easy when I am chopping my veggies.  Truth be told it is way easier for me to spend big money on a cute pair of shoes or a nice purse.  Again, don't judge;)
The Blinis had a tiny learning curve.  My first two were a little thick so I just thinned out the batter with more water.  I loved that the cakes got bubbles in them as they cooked so you knew exactly when to flip. The blinis were ultra savory so the chutney rounded out the whole experience with its sweetness.  I liked the spice from the fresh jalapeno in the blinis. These were grown up pancakes filled with zest.     

No comments:

Post a Comment